In the summer of 2019 Efectis Nederland was asked to be a partner in setting up an international association dedicated to Passive Fire Protection for tunnels. As members of PFPNet, Efectis investigated the ability to organize this as a Technical subcommittee within PFPNet. With the approval of the Board, this initiative is now under development.
An initial meeting was organized at Efectis Nederland in January 2020, attended by a number of European companies active in tunnel fire protection. A second meeting is planned in Q2 of 2020 with the objective of officially starting this subcommittee during the PFPNet conference this year.
What is the committee’s objective?
- Increase knowledge, understanding and standards
- Provide a forum for addressing key topics
What will we be working on?
- Harmonization of test standards
- Common understanding of terminology
- Provide knowledge throughout the production chain
- Assess aspects of sustainability
- Provide guidelines
- Cost reduction
- Avoid duplication of efforts (costs)
- Central point of knowledge and distribution of information
- Staff training and qualifications
- Create awareness in countries that are not yet looking into tunnel safety
- Have a common voice with regard to the use of PFP in tunnels
- Gather knowledge from various countries and institutes
- Understand what tunnel owners require
- Fill the gaps of the current international tunnel standard
- Raise the level of safety
- Prepare for changes like renewable energy cars and other aspects that are decisive for the tunnel of the future
Contact: Micha DE JONG – [firstname.lastname@example.org]Back to news